On this page you will find details of community litter picks and other events I am involved in.
Verulamium Park litter picks – upcoming
Unless otherwise stated, we meet at the top of the Causeway in Verulamium Park (just inside the park, over the bridge at the King Harry Lane entrance – as pictured). I bring gloves, bags, pickers and organise for rubbish to be collected after the pick (by the park ranger who works for our contractor, John O’Conner). I invite volunteers to wear high viz vests to raise awareness of our activity and these are thanks to Waitrose St Albans. If you have your own gloves please do bring them with you. I host the litter picks because no matter how hard our contractor works to keep our district clean, there will always be more that can be done. Next dates:
- Saturday 2nd September, 1030-1130
- Saturday 14th October, 1030-1130
- Saturday 11th November, 1030-1130
Events I’m taking part in
- Fundraising for Verulamium At Play at the Inn on the Park Saturday 15th July 2017 – it’s all about bubbles! Details coming soon.
Litter picks – past
- Saturday 15th July, 1030-1130am
- Saturday 24th June, 10.30-11.30am
- Saturday 20th May, 10.30-11.30am
- Saturday 22nd April, 1030-1130
- Saturday 4th March (part of Keep Britain Tidy’s “Great British Spring Clean“)
- Saturday 14th January 2016
- Saturday 19th November, 10.30-11.30am (part of SuStAinable St Albans Week)
- Saturday 24th September 2016, 10.30-11.30am
- Saturday 3rd September 2016, 10.30-11.30am (BATCHWOOD LITTER PICK: cleaning the Oysterfield estate park, behind the hospital)
- Saturday 20th August 2016, 10.30-11.30am
- Saturday 23rd July 2016, 10.30-11.30am
- Saturday 15th June 2016, 1030-1130
- Saturday 21st May, 1030-1130
- Saturday 16th April, 1030-1130 (a record turnout of volunteers)
- Saturday 5th March 2016, 1030-1130 (part of Clean for the Queen weekend)
- Saturday 6th February 2016, 10.30-11.30am
- Saturday 2nd January 2016, 10.30-11.30am
- 7 litter picks in 2015 including one part of SuSTAinable St Albans Week and one part of World Rivers Day (we cleared litter along the River Ver)
Other events – past
- May Day Play Day fundraiser for Verulamium at Play, The White Lion Pub, 1/5/17 12-6pm
- Loreto College’s A-Level awards – it was a pleasure to speak the girls about using their strengths and giving back to their community on Monday 19th December.
- Thursday 30th June, St Albans Cycle Campaign meeting about air quality in St Albans. 7.30pm at Dagnall Street Baptist Church.
- Saturday 2nd July, Conservative market stall in the market place. Anne Main MP is usually there 10-12 noon and I’ll be there in the morning.
- Tuesday 12th July, 7.45-9pm public meeting about Verulamium Park playground. I have kicked off a project to refresh the play area and I’m hosting this meeting at the Bistro at Westminster Lodge to share responses to the survey residents were invited to complete. 468 responses were received and several people have come forward to join a working group. If you’d like to get involved in shaping the design, writing grant proposals and/or helping co-ordinate local fundraising efforts, please contact me.
- Friends of the Earth – “Just Eat” film and discussion about food waste (7/6/16).
- Dragons Apprentice Awards. I was asked to say a few words to open the awards ceremony at the University of Hertfordshire. I was absolutely delighted to do so and applauded the organisers and all who supported it. (21/3/16)